In this post, we feature multi-award-winning author Ilene Cooper, whose previous, acclaimed titles include Jack: The Early Years of John F. Kennedy, which was named an ALA Notable Children’s Book, among many other honors. You can hear her speak about her new book, This Boy: The Early Lives of John Lennon & Paul McCartney, and try her “invitation to imagine” activity. You’ll also find other resources to explore. Thanks for joining us, and let us know what you think in the comments below!
- Written by Ilene Cooper
- Published by Viking Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Penguin Random House
- Release date: August 15, 2023
Who were the Beatles, before they were the Beatles? In this captivating, deeply researched biography, award-winning author Ilene Cooper tells the story of how two lads from Liverpool formed one of the twentieth-century’s most fascinating and influential friendships. With rarely seen photographs and thoroughly documented anecdotes and quotes, this fascinating dual biography offers both fans and newcomers a sense of how both music and history were made.
From This Boy: The Early Lives of John Lennon & Paul McCartney, by Ilene Cooper
“If it hadn’t been for two old wooden doors, there might never have been a musical group known as the Beatles.”Click here to view a longer preview of This Boy: The Early Lives of John Lennon & Paul McCartney, by Ilene Cooper
Listen to Ilene Cooper talking with TeachingBooks about creating This Boy: The Early Lives of John Lennon & Paul McCartney. You can click the player below or experience the recording on TeachingBooks, where you can read along as you listen, and also translate the text to another language.
- Listen to Ilene Cooper pronounce her name.
- Sample the ebook of This Boy: The Early Lives of John Lennon & Paul McCartneyon OverDrive.com.
- Sample the audiobook of This Boy: The Early Lives of John Lennon & Paul McCartney on OverDrive.com
- Explore TeachingBooks’ collection of activities and resources for This Boy: The Early Lives of John Lennon & Paul McCartney
Invitation to Imagine
TeachingBooks asks each author or illustrator on our Virtual Book Tour to share a writing prompt, a drawing exercise, or just an interesting question to spark curiosity and creativity. Enjoy the following activity contributed by Ilene Cooper.
Imagination Activity with Ilene Cooper
Have a conversation with one or more of your characters. What are their likes and dislikes? Whom do they admire? What makes them nervous? If you are writing about a real person, do some research to see if you can find out the answers.
Finish This Sentence . . . with Ilene Cooper
As part of our Virtual Book Tour, TeachingBooks asks authors and illustrators to complete short sentence prompts. Enjoy Ilene Cooper’s response.
“A surprising thing that helps me write is…”
A surprising thing that helps me write is cleaning the house. Well, to be honest, it’s a way to avoid sitting down at my desk. I am a huge procrastinator. But when I’m done cleaning, it is inviting to work in a sparkling office. And when I still don’t want to write, at least I have a clean house!
To wrap up this Virtual Book Tour, we thank Ilene Cooper for signing a book for all of us.
More Connections to Ilene Cooper and This Boy: The Early Lives of John Lennon & Paul McCartney
- Discover books like This Boy: The Early Lives of John Lennon & Paul McCartney on TeachingBooks.
- Penguin Random House’s page about This Boy: The Early Lives of John Lennon & Paul McCartney, written by Ilene Cooper.
- Buy This Boy: The Early Lives of John Lennon & Paul McCartney, written by Ilene Cooper.
All text and images are courtesy of Ilene Cooper and Penguin Random House and may not be used without expressed written consent.